Summer is here and I’m excited to break out the summer recipes. I found this “salad” recipe in my local free newspaper! It can be eaten with a spoon or scooped with tortilla chips (my fav). It’s healthy, easy, and delicious. What’s not to love about a dish like that?! Kids will enjoy dumping and mixing the ingredients, and maybe, just maybe want to eat it too.
- 1.5 Cups Corn (canned, frozen, or roasted)
- 2 Cans Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 Can Finely Diced Tomatoes (drained, or 1.5 cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1/2 Cup Celery (finely diced)*
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro (finely chopped)
- 3 Tablespoon Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Zest and juice of 1 Lime (I used juice of two)
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
In large bowl, combine corn, beans, tomatoes, celery and cilantro. In smaller bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime zest, juice, garlic, and spices. Pour over salad and stir until well-blended.
*I love celery and was happy to include it, but found it a slightly odd addition. Feel free to leave it out or replace with a bell or poblano pepper.